Handmade Carpets – Nowadays, we can see that almost every family has at least one piece of carpet at home, so we can imagine the influence of carpets culture. In early India, Turkey, and Egypt, the handmade rug and carpet was basically a symbol of the status of aristocrats which often appears in the records of the property and heritage of the European royal aristocrats. Today, handmade rugs and carpets, especially the Persian silk carpets are still the finest and most ancient work of art. They are always with superb craftsmanship and colorful luster, without any chemical composition of the dyeing. And they are weaved with pure natural raw materials and traditional weaving methods, adding them very high collection values, with which the machine made carpets can not match.
How to Tell the Handmade and Machine Made Carpet?
Then, how to tell the handmade carpet and machine made carpet. For the uninitiated, it’s very difficult to tell the difference between the handmade carpet and machine made ones. I will tell some main information which can help you understand the differences and give you some guidance when you buy rugs and carpets.
Handmade rugs and carpets are made on a professional weaving loom and are knotted by hand. It is a tedious and time consuming work, since after hanging the warp thread the weaver needs to make knots row after row on the weft thread repeatedly. And usually, the handmade rugs and carpets are all with fringes which are the extension of the rug foundation. About the producing time spent on rugs depends on the size and the intricacy of the carpet design. Bigger size and more intricate patterns, the longer time to finish the carpet, of course higher cost of the carpet. And machine made carpets are made by large machines called power looms which are electrically automated and controlled by computers. They are often made quickly at very cheap price. And most of them are without fringes, if they have fringes, they are sewn on.
Another difference is on the back of these carpets. The pattern on the back of handmade rugs and carpets are often very clear, maybe slightly uneven and not perfectly uniform for manual work. While the machine made carpets are usually very flat and the patterns on back are not so clear.
How to Make A Handmade Carpet?
Usually, weaving one carpet is not a simple thing. There are many works to do to finish a great piece. Let me tell the main steps to make a handmade rug and carpet.
Firstly, the rug designers need to give the design manuscript. They are inspired by the natural and abstract world to depict animals, gardens, mountains and shrubs and may also include everyday activities or war scenes. Most designs today are recalled from memory and passed down through the ages. The weavers make rugs on knot at a time by following the rug design drafts and the experts’ guidance of the oriental rug weavers family team.
Secondly, to prepare the materials of rugs. The finest sheep’s wool is sheared and the pure silk from silk worms is unraveled and washed. And then the fibers are straighten and spun. Once the work is done, it is professionally dyed. Dyes are extracted from the natural plants.
Thirdly, once everything is prepared, the weaver begins the tedious job of taking the dyed material and knotting it around each of the warp thread. After the completion of each row a thread called a “weft thread” is inserted horizontally and then the process is repeated row after row. And a mental comb is used after several rows have been completed to beat down the knots. Since the rugs are knotted by hand the pile often tends to be uneven and long. Scissors are used to trim it before it is cut from the loom and washed. The excess warp thread at each end form what we commonly refer to as the fringe, which is the biggest difference from machine made rugs.
Fourthly, once the rug has been washed, it is then shaved evenly one more time to reveal a wonderful new piece of art and a mirror of history.
Everything sounds easy and simple, but the process can take the most masterful weavers months and some times even years to create. So that’s why handmade rugs are with collectible values.
What are the Advantages of Handmade Carpets?
- Good heat preservation: The material of handmade rug and carpet has the property of keeping warm and heat conduction, and it also has the function of balancing the indoor temperature. In Winter, it helps block the coolness of the ground penetration to maintain the comfort of the interior space. In Summer, it absorbs heat and moisture.
- Easy to wash: It’s very easy to maintain handmade rugs and carpets, just need the daily vacuum.
- Cushion and comfort: Handmade rugs and carpets own high elasticity, stepping on them, you will feel more comfortable and relax. It is effective to avoid the frictions and noises caused by the collision of the sole with the chilled floor.
- Durable and Healthy: Handmade rugs and carpets are mostly made of natural materials, which can help effectively avoid allergies, and along with the handmade constructions, the service life of them can be prolonged to decades or even hundreds of years.
- Non-slip and safety: Placing a carpet on the floor can effectively avoid slipping. And walking on the carpet is not easy to fall, since handmade carpets possess excellent softness and flexibility which can help reduce the possibility of falling, especially for the elderly and children in the family.
- Environmental protection: The surface of the handmade rug and carpet is densely piled, so the dust floating in the space will be adsorbed on the surface of the carpet, preventing the carpet from floating in the space and causing respiratory damage. It also reduces the dust content of dust in indoor air and plays a role in cleaning the air.
- Sound and noise absorption: Good handmade rugs and carpets are often made of wool or silk, which material can absorb the echo and noise in the room. It is one of the most effective acoustic building materials, reducing the reflection and propagation of sound through the bottom and wall surfaces. It can help create a quiet home rest and office environment space.
- Decorative effects: Handmade rugs and carpets are good decorative crafts. And the patterns of them are usually very rich in color, you can choose carpets based on your favors and interior styles. A suitable handmade carpet can create an artistic space for a satisfying home environment which just also reveal the owner’s culture and taste.
Rexrugs Provides What for You?
All products from Rexrugs are hand woven oriental rugs. Here, we only provide quality handmade rugs and carpets for you with thousands of exquisite designs on different styles, including Persian silk carpets, Turkish silk carpets, oriental wool silk rugs, vintage art deco carpets and other carpets. You will find what you want.
Just check our handmade rugs as follows, or directly contact us, we will recommend you more great pieces based on your preference.
Below you will find our vintage handmade rugs and carpets:
Showing 1–8 of 180 results